Stump Grinding Training
Learn to use this powerful machine safely and expertly with our specialist one-day course.
Overview in brief
Stump grinders remove tree stumps by literally chipping away at them – usually with a cutting wheel.
As a result, they can be dangerous tools if used incorrectly or without adequate training. Our course will teach you the appropriate techniques and safety guidelines.
It’s ideal if you work in the arboriculture, forestry, horticulture, landscaping or grounds maintenance industries. This is a hands-on course that delivers both practical skills and health and safety guidance as well as demonstrating that you and your employer have completed sufficient training to meet the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).
The finer details
This is an integrated training and assessment course. Successfully complete it and you’ll receive a certificate of training.
We’ll guide you through all the relevant health and safety guidelines to ensure you stay protected.
You’ll also be given practical experience working with the machine to learn and hone techniques.
- Risk assessment and emergency procedures
- Health and safety guidelines and legislation
- Personal protective equipment
- Pre-use checks and machine safety features
- Routine checks and maintenance
- Cutter maintenance
- Start the machine and carry out safety checks
- Preparation of site, machine and materials
- Operation of stump grinder
- Unblocking stump grinder
- Re-instatement of excavation and disposal of arisings
- Clearing, transport, and storage.
- Worth noting: If you’re an inexperienced operator our course might take you longer than the standard one day.
Who should attend?
Anyone who needs to carry out the Stump Grinding Operation.
What will be covered?
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Produce a site-specific risk assessment for stump grinding operations
- State the principles of health and safety legislation and guidelines for using a stump grinder
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment and state the maintenance requirements
- Carry out operator checks and identify the safety features of a stump grinder
- Carry out routine operator maintenance
- Inspect and identify defects on the grinding mechanism
- Prepare machine prior to operation, start the machine, carry out safety checks and stop machine
- Prepare a work area and a range of stumps for grinding and identify hazardous materials not to be ground
- Use approved techniques for safe and efficient stump grinding of a range of stump sizes
- State the procedure for removing blockages
- Re-instate ground and deal with arisings
- Prepare machine for transport and storage.